Collaborative Families Law Center


CFLC final logo trans back


Legal Circumstances for Changing Your Name

The process of changing your name can be tedious if you don’t know where to start. Whether you are seeking to restore your previous name during or after a divorce or if you are requesting a name change unrelated to a dissolution of marriage, our office can assist individuals seeking to initiate this process.
During a dissolution of marriage case, the spouse who took their spouse’s surname, is able to simultaneously request that their maiden name be restored. Doing so during the divorce proceeding is efficient and convenient because it avoids having to address this issue in a separate case in the future.
  • An individual can obtain a Name Change in Florida if they are a bona fide resident of and domiciled in the county in Florida where the change of name is being requested.
  • The individual requesting the name change must provide a substantial amount of detail, background information and documentation in order to complete the process. Our office can facilitate this process by preparing and filing the requisite documentation necessary to successfully obtain a change of name.
"We can make the process of changing your name as seamless as possible."
Fernanda Pedroso, Esq.
Family Law Attorney